[Openchrome-users] Openchrome on OBSD 4.2 working

Benno Schulenberg bensberg
Sat Jan 12 05:04:19 PST 2008

mrdubya wrote:
> With a little bit of touching up I have managed to build and
> install the latest trunk Openchrome driver under OpenBSD 4.2 with
> its Xorg 7.2.0 - yay. And once I get the right monitor settings
> to solve the bandwidth problems I am sitting happily at 1280x1024
> 32bpp. Happy bunny.

Nice.  I'd like to see a gzipped Xorg log.

> For the record, the "fixes" I had to do were as follows:
>
> 1. src/Makefile.am - the svn revision buildcomment needs an extra
> \ before \n, otherwise the generated C macro spans 2 lines which
> is a no no and kills the build.

Hmm, when I add that extra backslash, a literal "\n" gets printed in
the Xorg log instead of a newline, meaning the development build
line gets concatenated with the next one, as expected, like this:

(!!) (development build, at svn revision 499M)\n(II) resource...

Maybe your shell does not understand the backticks?  Maybe it needs
$(...) instead of `...`?  What's in your svnrelease.h after running
make?

> While hacking this I also encountered an assumption that
> /bin/true exists - this is not so on OBSD, it's in /usr/bin,

Would changing it to simply 'true' work for you?

Hmm, why does it do this anyway?  If chmod fails, something is
wrong, and it should stop.

> 2. The install assumes the X11 modules dir is in /usr/lib/xorg
> when on default install OBSD it is /usr/X11R6/lib - a link sorted
> that out for now.

As far as I know /usr/lib/xorg is the standard place nowadays and
most distros make a /usr/X11R6 -> ../usr symlink or similar.

> 3. The installer assumes the man path for the man page is
> /usr/man when it should be /usr/local/man, simply copied the file
> and removed the wrong directory.

Here it installs to /usr/local/man without a problem.  Can you find
out where it goes wrong for you?

> If you want me to check build changes for OBSD compatibility I am
> more than happy to help.

We'd be happy to make any necessary changes, but apart from
the /bin/true problem I don't see what to change.

Benno