[Openchrome-users] GETTING openchrome-stable.sh TO WORK

John Robinson john.robinson
Sun Jan 13 17:57:25 PST 2008

On 13/01/2008 15:52, Richard May wrote:
> Here is my info - can someone tell me why mine is not working. When I've
> gone through all the steps  my screen is fuzzy lines and I have to rerun
> in safe mode to reconfigure the xorg.con -
> I've got the P4M900 Micro 775 motherboard - onboard video Chrome9 HC
> 3D/2D Graphics card with a Max shared video memory of 256MB
>
> This is what I get when I do the following command in terminal window
> glxifno | grep rendering
>
> Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
[...etc...]

1. The openchrome project is the 2D driver, GLX is part of OpenGL
supported by the Mesa project.

2. If I recall correctly, Chrome9 uses a different 3D engine from the
rest of the Unichrome etc. chips, and there is currently no 3D
implementation whatsoever for it.

These aside, the openchrome driver should work OK for 2D with your
motherboard, so you shouldn't be getting fuzzy lines. If you have a flat
panel display there's little or no point in trying to use refresh higher
than 60Hz and little or no point in using any resolution other than its
native one, the modeline for which can be read from it automatically, so
I'd suggest dropping all the modelines and just saying Modes
"1280x1024". If that doesn't help, please send a compressed Xorg.0.log
and if possible drop some photos of the bad picture on pastebin or whatever.

Cheers,

John.