[Openchrome-users] "dirty" display with P4M900 (PCI ID 1106, 3371) on Via SN10000 board

Tobias Waldvogel tobias.waldvogel
Mon Jan 14 02:52:57 PST 2008

I'm trying to run the openchrome driver on my SN10000 board with
integrated P4M900 chip.
I am using debian etch with a 2.6.22-15 kernel and I patched the drm
and via kernel modules. Dmesg shows that the chip was recognized and
is working with drm.
When I start the X server I get only a dirty screen which looks like
an old CRT without correct sync. Anyway the the cursor looks fine (I
suppose this is because it is using hardware cursor?). I tried every
resolution without success. I also tried the parameter VBEModes but
then I get an "ILLEGAL EXTENDED X86 OPCODE" error. The standard vesa
driver works fine but there is no way to set the native resolution of
my display (1680x1050) and it is really slow.
I also tried the driver provided by VIA. This driver seems to work but
unfortunately it works only with resolutions up to 1400x1050, which
looks quite ugly on a 1680x1050 display.
Is there anything else I can try to get it to run? I tried the latest
svn, the default and the experimental branch.

Best regards,
Tobias