[Openchrome-users] [OT] Spam problem

John Robinson john.robinson
Mon Jan 14 08:39:12 PST 2008

On 14/01/2008 15:25, Forest Bond wrote:
> First, a brief message from my SPAM filter, which is apparently not happy with a
> few things:
>
>> Spam detection software, running on the system "storm.local.network", has
>> identified this incoming email as possible spam.  The original message
>> has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or label
>> similar future email.  If you have any questions, see
>> the administrator of that system for details.
>
> [...]
>
>> Content analysis details:   (1.9 points, 1.0 required)
>>
>>  pts rule name              description
>> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>>  0.0 FH_HOST_EQ_VERIZON_P   Host is pool-.+verizon.net
>>  0.9 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
>>                             [71.169.171.209 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
>>  0.9 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL      RBL: SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP address
>>                             [71.169.171.209 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
>>  0.0 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60%
>>                             [score: 0.4925]
>>  0.1 RDNS_DYNAMIC           Delivered to trusted network by host with
>>                             dynamic-looking rDNS

Forest, that IP address appears appears only in emails sent by you, I
think it's your own one. You're connecting by authenticated SMTP to a
server at webfaction.com, which is fine; my spamassassin doesn't count
against you for this, so I suspect some server on the return leg between
the openchrome.org list server and you is adding its Received: header in
the wrong place, or your spamassassin is just getting it wrong.

> My settings are a little on the aggressive side.

Sure are, I'd never recommend against spam-binning anything scoring less
than 5.0.

Cheers,

John.