[Openchrome-users] [OT] Spam problem

Forest Bond forest
Mon Jan 14 09:11:20 PST 2008

Hi,

I've gone and assumed that you're still interested in talking about my SPAM
filter :)

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:59:40AM -0500, Forest Bond wrote:

> > Forest, that IP address appears appears only in emails sent by you, I think
> > it's your own one. You're connecting by authenticated SMTP to a server at
> > webfaction.com, which is fine; my spamassassin doesn't count against you
> > for this, so I suspect some server on the return leg between the
> > openchrome.org list server and you is adding its Received: header in the
> > wrong place, or your spamassassin is just getting it wrong.
>
> Right you are.  Sorry about that.
>
> I use fetchmail.  By default, it delivers mail via SMTP on the local system.  As
> a result, my SMTP server is adding a header.  I'm telling fetchmail to use
> sendmail directly now.  That should fix things.

Actually, what's especially interesting about this is that the primary
implication of this misconfiguration is that all incoming mail starts with a
score of 1.9 due to my delivery setup.  So, effectively, my threshold has
actually been -0.9!

(1.0 - 1.9 = -0.9)

-Forest
--