[Openchrome-users] P4M900 on ASUS motherboard, which source, is DRM/AGP GART a requirement, is the ubuntu/Gutsy package OK to use?

J. Dale Gonzalez dale.gonzalez
Wed Jan 16 14:01:49 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 4:08 PM, Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org> wrote:
> J. Dale Gonzalez wrote:
> > Add me to the list of folks having problems with the P4M900 chipset on
> > it.  Before I bother everyone with the details of my issue(s), I have
> > three quick questions.
> >
> > 1) Can someone please confirm the correct location to pull the source
> > from?  The openchrome wiki says that the P4M900 chipset support is on
> > the experimental branch but I've seen in a couple of posts comments to
> > the effect of "Don't use the experimental branch unless you're asked
> > to do so".
> >
> All chipsets are supported in trunk and in the releases.
> http://www.openchrome.org/releases
> I've corrected the wiki pages to not mention experimental branch anymore.
>
> For completeness, currently experimental adds libpciaccess support, this
> is not needed for most people. Randr contains some hardware cursor
> improvements and new code for laptop panel support (P4M900 only for now).
> None of these branches are for public consumption. Be prepared to get
> your hands dirty if you use them.
>
> > 2) Is patching the kernel to support DRM and AGP GART necessary to get
> > the driver working at all or can it be done after a successful
> > build/install of openchrome.
> >
> P4M900 has been recently added in drm tree, but that has not been pushed
> to kernel yet. AGP support for P4M900 is fixed in kernel 2.6.23 and later.
>
> > 3) Will the Ubuntu Gutsy xserver-xorg-video-openchrome package work or
> > is a pull from source + compile necessary to support this chip.
> >
> No idea what Ubuntu ships. If they are not shipping the latest release,
> then please fill a bug in their bugtracker.
>
> Regards,
> Xavier

Thanks Xavier.

I stayed away from the releases because the file started with xf86 and
I assumed these were the XFree86 versions as opposed to xorg ones.
Stupid I guess but oh well.  I'll grab the xf86 archive and start
again compiling it.  (Then I'll probably still be screwed and posting
about my diagonal white lines across a heavily distorted display but
we'll see)