[Openchrome-users] P4M900 on ASUS motherboard, which source, is DRM/AGP GART a requirement, is the ubuntu/Gutsy package OK to use?

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Wed Jan 16 13:08:21 PST 2008

J. Dale Gonzalez wrote:
> Add me to the list of folks having problems with the P4M900 chipset on
> it.  Before I bother everyone with the details of my issue(s), I have
> three quick questions.
>
> 1) Can someone please confirm the correct location to pull the source
> from?  The openchrome wiki says that the P4M900 chipset support is on
> the experimental branch but I've seen in a couple of posts comments to
> the effect of "Don't use the experimental branch unless you're asked
> to do so".

All chipsets are supported in trunk and in the releases.
http://www.openchrome.org/releases
I've corrected the wiki pages to not mention experimental branch anymore.

For completeness, currently experimental adds libpciaccess support, this
is not needed for most people. Randr contains some hardware cursor
improvements and new code for laptop panel support (P4M900 only for now).
None of these branches are for public consumption. Be prepared to get
your hands dirty if you use them.

> 2) Is patching the kernel to support DRM and AGP GART necessary to get
> the driver working at all or can it be done after a successful
> build/install of openchrome.

P4M900 has been recently added in drm tree, but that has not been pushed
to kernel yet. AGP support for P4M900 is fixed in kernel 2.6.23 and later.

> 3) Will the Ubuntu Gutsy xserver-xorg-video-openchrome package work or
> is a pull from source + compile necessary to support this chip.

No idea what Ubuntu ships. If they are not shipping the latest release,
then please fill a bug in their bugtracker.