[Openchrome-users] regressions from svn 462:500

Forest Bond forest
Mon Jan 21 12:26:42 PST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 07:32:11PM +0100, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Forest Bond wrote:
> > * Subtle artifacts around UI elements (funny pixels, etc.).
> > * Long horizontal lines where there shouldn't be any.
> > * Appears to be a bug in the VGA BIOS (occurs with both vesa &
> > openchrome drivers).
>
> What makes you think it is a BIOS bug?  Why not Xorg?  Or maybe the
> display itself is doing weird interpolation?

A few more thoughts here; I wondered if this makes any difference?

The problem can be avoided by booting the machine with the display disconnected,
and connecting the display afterwards.  This is why I am convinced that the
problem has something to do with VBE, DDC, etc.  I'm not sure if I mentioned
that before.

Is it possible that it is not the graphics chip that is in a weird state, but
the display itself?  Could BIOS or X initialization cause the display itself to
produce the artifacts, etc.?

Thanks,
Forest
--