[Openchrome-users] Regarding security issues in VIA drivers

Karim Yaghmour karim.yaghmour
Mon Jan 28 13:22:03 PST 2008

I red the following ominous warning excerpt in the Wiki:
In addition, the 3D driver leaves your system open for attack by malicious clients,
and furthermore, applications that accelerate mpeg2 and mpeg4 must be run as root,
which is a very bad idea if they contain vulnerabilities (and they do).

Now, based on what I've seen of said drivers, I'm inclined to believe
this. That said, though, I'm wondering if there's any place I could
find any more info about this. Mainly, I'm wondering if using said
drivers for 2D only "avoids" the security problems and/or if there's a
way to disable the 3D stuff to the drivers _palatable_.

Thanks,

Karim