[Openchrome-users] Call for testers : new laptop's panel code

Stefan Bellon sbellon
Sat Mar 1 02:26:57 PST 2008

Xavier Bachelot wrote:

> Some new code that allows proper modesetting (read : without using
> VBE) of laptop's panel on Unichrome Pro and Chrome9 has been
> submitted by Gabriel Mansi into the randr branch. If you own a
> laptop that is using anything else than a CLE266 or a KM400/P4M800
> and feel like helping out, we'd like to hear from you. Just build
> the code from the randr branch as you would do with trunk and report
> back to the list with both success and failure stories.

I'm not sure whether I qualify as well because I do not have a laptop
but an Epia SN (with P4M900) board, but I thought I'd give it a try
anyway.

Attached are the two Xorg.log files with trunk and randr.

There are a few differences:

1) In trunk the board is detected as VIA Epia SN, in randr it is unknown
   (3371| 908|1975).

2) In trunk there are ViaModePrimaryVGAValid messages, they are called
   ViaFirstCRTCModeValid, and the ViaModeSet stuff looks a bit
   different.

3) viaCursorARGBInit in randr.

4) In trunk palette loading does not work, in randr it does.

While using the randr openchrome code, it feels like the cursors are
not as smooth as they are in trunk. Apart from that, everything seems
to be fine. Will continue to use the randr code and report back if I
spot things.

Greetings,
Stefan

--