[Openchrome-users] Call for testers : new laptop's panel code

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Tue Mar 4 11:32:08 PST 2008

Stefan Bellon wrote:
> Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>
>> Some new code that allows proper modesetting (read : without using
>> VBE) of laptop's panel on Unichrome Pro and Chrome9 has been
>> submitted by Gabriel Mansi into the randr branch. If you own a
>> laptop that is using anything else than a CLE266 or a KM400/P4M800
>> and feel like helping out, we'd like to hear from you. Just build
>> the code from the randr branch as you would do with trunk and report
>> back to the list with both success and failure stories.
>
> I'm not sure whether I qualify as well because I do not have a laptop
> but an Epia SN (with P4M900) board, but I thought I'd give it a try
> anyway.

Not exactly, we are mostly interested in the panel code for now, but any
testing is still good to take anyway :-)

> Attached are the two Xorg.log files with trunk and randr.
>
> There are a few differences:
>
> 1) In trunk the board is detected as VIA Epia SN, in randr it is unknown
>    (3371| 908|1975).

harmless, it will be sync'ed later.

> 2) In trunk there are ViaModePrimaryVGAValid messages, they are called
>    ViaFirstCRTCModeValid, and the ViaModeSet stuff looks a bit
>    different.

yes, this fonctions have been renamed and modified.

> 3) viaCursorARGBInit in randr.

This is another change that is ongoing in the randr branch.

> 4) In trunk palette loading does not work, in randr it does.

I'm not sure what this covers exactly, I'll ask Gabriel.

> While using the randr openchrome code, it feels like the cursors are
> not as smooth as they are in trunk. Apart from that, everything seems
> to be fine. Will continue to use the randr code and report back if I
> spot things.

Thanks. It seems the hardware cursor needs some polishing. I hope there
will be some useful hints in the logs.

> Greetings,
> Stefan

Thanks for testing.