[Openchrome-users] Integrated K8M890 does not work.

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Thu Mar 6 07:29:03 PST 2008

maurizio wrote:
> Hi all, it is my first message on this mailing list. First of all excuse
> me if I post here, I tried to solve this problem for a few days but
> could not find a way out.
> I have a MSI motherboard, model K9VGM-V with a AMD 64 processor. On the
> board there is an integrated K8M890 graphic card. After trying every
> possible driver OpenChrome and UniChrome, I also tried to modify the DRM
> file, compiled and istalled it, with no result.
> As you can see, the graphic card is not recognized by the system:
>
> dmesg | grep -e agp -e drm
> [   21.256421] agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
> [   21.261208] agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xd0000000
> [   21.866172] Linux agpgart interface v0.102 (c) Dave Jones
> [  242.034180] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
> [  243.436351] [drm] Initialized via 2.11.1 20070202 on minor 0
>
> This is probably because the card is attached to the mainboard through a
> "bridge" and the system cannot access directly to it. I'm attaching my
> xorg.conf file and the log of the X server. Again, it says that there is
> no graphic card.
> I'm ok if there is no way for now to make this card work, I'm just
> trying to understand if it is my fault or not... Thank you very much!
> Best regards,
> Maurizio Mancini

You're using an outdated version of the driver. Uninstall the Ubuntu
provided driver, grab latest release or svn trunk, compile and install
it then retry.

http://www.openchrome.org/releases/
http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Compiling+the+source+code

You should also file a bug about the outdated driver to Ubuntu bug tracker.