[Openchrome-users] Integrated K8M890 does not work.

Ondrej Wisniewski ondrej.wisniewski
Fri Mar 7 05:21:43 PST 2008

Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> Ondrej Wisniewski wrote:
>> Xavier Bachelot wrote:

>>> Glad to hear it works :-)
>>> Don't forget to file a bug in Ubuntu so other users will have a
>>> better experience than you did.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Xavier
>>
>> Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) already has the latest version of OpenChrome in
>> the repos:
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/1:0.2.901-0ubuntu4
>>

> Hardy is still not released, afaik.
>
>> I don't think there will be a backport to Gutsy (7.10).
>
> If no one files bug reports, indeed, there will never be a backport.
>
>> But there is a nice install script floating around:
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=485646&highlight=openchrome
>>
> An install script buried in some forum is not exactly what I would
> describe as nice for a end-user, especially the kind of users Ubuntu is
> targeting at. No offense intended to the script's author, obviously,
> it's better than nothing, but far from perfect.
> Shipping an outdated version when a much better one with support for
> more IGPs has been released doesn't fit my description of user-friendly
> either. Either way, I don't really care, I'm not an Ubuntu user, but
> endlessly answering the same basic installation questions when it would
> be so simple for the distro package maintainer to just build an updated
> package is a waste of time. This applies to other distribution than Ubuntu.
>
> I hope you get my point ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Xavier

I agree with you but I'm afraid the Ubuntu philosophy is a little
different. Once a new version is released, there are only updates for
critical security issues. Most new application and driver versions go
into the next release.

However there is an entry in the Ubuntu Wiki regarding the OpenChrome
driver which describes how to install the latest version from svn. And
at the end of the page there is also a link to pre-compiled deb packages
of the latest version:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome

Ondrej