[Openchrome-users] Low quality 2D in ARCH Linux + openchrome + VIA K8M890

daz darren.e
Wed May 7 03:09:56 PDT 2008

I'm using the openchrome driver from the arch extra repo.

NOTE THIS IS NOT THE xserver-xorg-video-openchrome driver, it is the newer one
based on the svn source code tree.

Does anyone have a successful configuration using this combination....

Using "pacman -S openchrome". Installed fine so I reconfigured my xorg.conf
and I restarted X.

However, repainting windows and moving windows is extremely slow. For example
if I open a Konsole window for which the schema is transparent, it takes
about 2 seconds for the background to be painted inside the Konsole window.

Using the stock vesa driver is much more responsive. How can this be? Surely I
have something configured incorrectly. Surely the vesa driver cannot
outperform the openchrome dedicated VIA chipset driver.