[Openchrome-users] Low quality 2D in ARCH Linux + openchrome + VIA K8M890

Karolina karolina.lindqvist
Wed May 7 04:38:08 PDT 2008

onsdagen den 7 maj 2008 skrev daz:
> I'm using the openchrome driver from the arch extra repo.
>
> NOTE THIS IS NOT THE xserver-xorg-video-openchrome driver, it is the newer
> one based on the svn source code tree.
>
> Does anyone have a successful configuration using this combination....
>
> Using "pacman -S openchrome". Installed fine so I reconfigured my xorg.conf
> and I restarted X.
>
> However, repainting windows and moving windows is extremely slow. For
> example if I open a Konsole window for which the schema is transparent, it
> takes about 2 seconds for the background to be painted inside the Konsole
> window.
>
> Using the stock vesa driver is much more responsive. How can this be?
> Surely I have something configured incorrectly. Surely the vesa driver
> cannot outperform the openchrome dedicated VIA chipset driver.

I am using archlinux and the openchrome driver and it works great, and even if
2D speed is not blazing, it is acceptable.  One year ago, or so, performance
was horrible, and I put an ATI RAGE PRO, in my machine. But now the via
openchrome driver does not give any noticable speed degradation anymore.

I have the K8M800, and 3D does not work with the archlinux stock driver, and
instead freezes the machine. But with kernel 2.6.25 and driver 0.2.902 even
3D acceleration works

This is what I have in xorg.conf, if it matters

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "VIA Technologies, Inc. S3 Unichrome Pro VGA Adapter"
#    Driver      "via"
    Driver      "openchrome"
    Option "DisableIRQ" "true"
    Option "EnableAGPDMA" "true"
    Option "AccelMethod"  "EXA"
    Option "ExaScratchSize" "8192"
    Option "MaxDRIMem" "16384"
    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
    Option "PanelSize"  "1024x768"
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

I don't know if this glxgears speed is good or bad, but at least it does not
cause a freeze or crash.

shakti:~$ glxgears
do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
Try running with LIBGL_THROTTLE_REFRESH and LIBL_SYNC_REFRESH unset.
2018 frames in 5.0 seconds = 403.442 FPS
2205 frames in 5.0 seconds = 440.803 FPS
^C
shakti:~$