[Openchrome-users] VT8237r Plus video Card driver

Coleman Kane cokane
Thu May 8 08:57:44 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 10:13 -0400, Juan Carlos wrote:

> You know, I originally suscribed to this virtual org when I changed
> from MS windows to Linux platform. I have a desktop with a VT8237r
> plus video card installed and for more than 4 months already trying
> ubuntu 7.10 and now hardy heron I have not been able to get it to
> work. I have done every piece of advice I have found around the
> internet to get this done without satisfactory results.
>
> I am about to drop the towel and get a new video card. I used the
> openchrome driver, reconfigured. I have done everything in my power.
> From uninstalling to reinstalling ubuntu. Everything. Can someone help
> me in a detailed manner on this. I think this will be my try. If I
> can't get it to work with your expertise and advice. I will quit and
> buy another motherboard or video card.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> jc

What is "not working" about it? Does X.org identify the card, but the
display is scrambled? Does the display just go dark? Can you still
access the box via SSH when running X.org? Does X.org even start up?
Will the machine even power on?

Without any information about what the video card does do and doesn't
do, it is very difficult to give any help at all. Try to describe the
problem in detail. If you already sent a mail to this list some time
ago, try re-sending it or forwarding it as an attachment to this list
again.

Try putting the error messages, if any, into the body of the email, or
attaching logs. "It doesn't work" and "without satisfactory results"
aren't going to describe car troubles to the mechanic, and they won't be
able to adequately describe your VT8237r's problem symptoms either.

Also, it would be helpful to know what possible fixes you did try.
Again, nobody here can know what advice you found on the Internet, and
what you tried without providing that info in the email request.

--
Coleman Kane