[Openchrome-users] Low quality 2D in ARCH Linux + openchrome + VIA K8M890

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Fri May 9 15:38:19 PDT 2008

daz wrote:
> I'm using the openchrome driver from the arch extra repo.
>
> NOTE THIS IS NOT THE xserver-xorg-video-openchrome driver, it is the newer one
> based on the svn source code tree.
>
> Does anyone have a successful configuration using this combination....
>
> Using "pacman -S openchrome". Installed fine so I reconfigured my xorg.conf
> and I restarted X.
>
> However, repainting windows and moving windows is extremely slow. For example
> if I open a Konsole window for which the schema is transparent, it takes
> about 2 seconds for the background to be painted inside the Konsole window.
>
> Using the stock vesa driver is much more responsive. How can this be? Surely I
> have something configured incorrectly. Surely the vesa driver cannot
> outperform the openchrome dedicated VIA chipset driver.

The xorg log is not useful, it's incomplete. Please send a full xorg log.
You don't have a laptop panel, Option "ActiveDevice" "LCD" is useless,
my first suggestion would be to switch to VGA :
Option "ActiveDevice" "CRT"

Option "Simulateous" is bogus too.