[Openchrome-users] problems with via and multiple screens

Benno Schulenberg bensberg
Wed May 28 13:03:29 PDT 2008

Paulo Zanoni wrote:
> In computers with multiple X screens (this VIA + other PCI cards
> in ONE Xserver) some of the non-via screens get incorrectly
> drawn. This only happens if the computer has this VIA card, but
> only some non-VIA screens get incorrectly drawn.
>
> [...]
> - If I have four displays, for example, :0.0 being the via
> display and :0.1, :0.2 and :0.3 being the ati displays, I can only
> reproduce the bug on displays :0.2 and :0.3.

What happens if you plug in an extra ATI card and disable the VIA
one, can you then still reproduce the same buggy behaviour on the
last two displays?  (Most likely you can: having four screens is
still a rather unusual setup, so it's probably not well-tested.
The bug is most likely in Xephyr.)

You say this bug happens only in machines with a VIA chipset.  Do
you also have several computers with say a SIS chipset and three
extra cards?

Benno