[Openchrome-users] problems with via and multiple screens

Paulo Zanoni przanoni
Wed May 28 18:53:11 PDT 2008

2008/5/28 Benno Schulenberg <bensberg at justemail.net>:
> Paulo Zanoni wrote:
>> In computers with multiple X screens (this VIA + other PCI cards
>> in ONE Xserver) some of the non-via screens get incorrectly
>> drawn. This only happens if the computer has this VIA card, but
>> only some non-VIA screens get incorrectly drawn.
>>
>> [...]
>> - If I have four displays, for example, :0.0 being the via
>> display and :0.1, :0.2 and :0.3 being the ati displays, I can only
>> reproduce the bug on displays :0.2 and :0.3.
>
> What happens if you plug in an extra ATI card and disable the VIA
> one, can you then still reproduce the same buggy behaviour on the
> last two displays?  (Most likely you can: having four screens is
> still a rather unusual setup, so it's probably not well-tested.
> The bug is most likely in Xephyr.)

If I open X without the VIA screen the bug won't happen. I really
don't think the bug is in Xephyr, because this kind of environment is
really well tested.

> You say this bug happens only in machines with a VIA chipset.  Do
> you also have several computers with say a SIS chipset and three
> extra cards?

I work with multiseat, we have the Xephyr solution running in all the
informatics department here in the university and in 2100 schools in
my state. The ONLY case I see this bug is when we have computers with
this via screen.

We have pretty much all kinds of combinations between gaphics cards
(most of them old cards), and I only see the bug in via. =(

Is there any known hardware bug or something like that?

--
Paulo R. Zanoni