[Openchrome-users] VIA and OpenChrome

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Thu Nov 20 02:37:57 PST 2008

Hi all,

As you may know, there has been a lot of noise around VIA's recent
efforts to become a better FOSS community citizen. Subsequently, the
openchrome development team has renewed its efforts to develop better
relations with them. After a fair bit of discussion, some of us have
signed an NDA with VIA, which allows us to write code under a large
variety of free licenses. We also have access to some documentation
before it is publicly released. We have been assured that this is only a
temporary solution while VIA works to improve the docs before they are
released free of chains to the whole community. VIA already released
some CX700 and VX800 docs on http://www.x.org/docs/via. Openchrome is
also involved in a discussion with VIA on how to get open source support
for the 3D part of the Chrome9 chipset IGP.

On the 2D front, we have basically agreed that openchrome is the way to
go, as it is well structured and is well integrated in the FOSS
ecosystem. Harald Welte, of netfilter and Openmoko fame that VIA
recently hired as a consultant, is pushing heavily in this direction,
amongst other helpful things to close the gap between VIA and the FOSS
community. However, the openchrome driver, while having some advantages
like free modesetting, EXA support, XvMC VLD acceleration, and cleaner
code, is lacking some features the VIA driver has, so the next step is
to port missing features from the recently released VIA opensource
driver (xf86-video-via-83.1.0 available from VIA Linux portal at
http://linux.via.com.tw) to openchrome, and this is indeed quite a bit
of work. Tim Chen, a VIA developer, will join us and initially assist
with dual head and RANDR support. However, the openchrome development
team is and has always been understaffed, so if you or your company has
been looking to get involved, this is the right time to get on board. If
you're willing to help, please join the openchrome-devel at openchrome.org
mailing list
http://wiki.openchrome.org/mailman/listinfo/openchrome-devel. We'll
share more on the openchrome's todo list over there.

Kind regards,
the openchrome development team.