[Openchrome-users] VGA to RGB Scart

John Robinson john.robinson
Tue Sep 16 05:31:53 PDT 2008

On 16/09/2008 10:57, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Ivor Hewitt wrote:
>> It's not possible to get an interlaced signal from the VGA port unfortunately. So a VGA-SCART convertor won't work I'm afraid.
>
> Shame, but thanks for the info. Best knowing that before
> building the circuit.
>
> My TV can handle progressive 100Hz, I think. Could that
> be a route forward? Or am I going lose more than I gain
> in terms of quality?

If your TV can handle a progressive signal at 50Hz, and claims to be
able to do it over the SCART connector, by all means give it a go; when
openChrome is set to 720x576 and TV output, the VGA output produces
720x576 progressive at 50Hz (which my old CRT monitor was perfectly
happy with, and my lovely new 24" TFT monitor thinks is 720x480 and
crops). And the picture should be as good as you can get on a CRT monitor.

But beware! Do this at your own risk, etc; write your monitor definition
in your xorg.conf corresponding to your TV's specs for horizsync and
vertrefresh, and don't blame me if you accidentally create a black hole
which consumes the world, or whatever...

Cheers,

John.