[Openchrome-users] VGA to RGB Scart

Paul Gardiner lists
Tue Sep 16 05:05:42 PDT 2008

Marcus Priesch wrote:
> HI there,
>
> for the schematics, i can provide input ;)
>
> i once did it using an old et6000 & matrox MGA200/400 card ... and the
> picture quality is brilliant in contrast to anything coming out from a
> TV-encoder ...
>
> but due to the monitors going ahead to progressive, the "interlaced"
> functionality of the cards mostly disappeared ... evnen when it comes to
> the pixelclock of 12.5 MHz most cards can not achieve this ...
>
> its sad, but its true ... however, i read that my nvidia pci card is
> able to do 720i - whihc should e PAL i think ?!?! - but i have not
> tested it .... and it wont belong here also ;)
>
> but i've tried openchrome some time ago (i think two years now) and had
> no success ... i tried unichrome (they claimed to have programmable dot
> clocks) but also no success then ....
>
> so it's great to hear from ivor that the hardware is not capable at
> all ... that was what you meant, or ?!? ;)

What's really annoying is that the VT1622A can output both RGB
and YCbCr, but no motherboards seem to wire all the necessary
chip pins. Does anyone here know whether the VT1622A is
capable of driving the TV directly, or does it have to
go via a driver circuit (If it was just one solder joint to
make, it might be worth a try.).

Another idea was to buy another motherboard, but the only
one I can find with component out is based on CX700, and
from what I've read, I then get no MPEG2 acceleration,
so again it isn't going to work. It's a real shame,
because my MythTV system is far superior to my old
DVRs, except in this one respect of picture quality. I
can't understand motherboard manufacturers making boards
specifically for media centres, and providing only S-Video.
I guess it's because HD is taking over.

There is an add on card for my mobo that gives DVI, but I'm guessing
there's not much I can do with that either.

Cheers,
	Paul.