[Openchrome-users] VGA to RGB Scart

Marcus Priesch marcus
Thu Sep 18 04:19:59 PDT 2008

Hi Paul,

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 09:30 +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
[...]
> > the only solution i know of how you can get interlaced content onto
> > interlaced TV is via the matrox driver, which is capable of producing
> > interlaced RGB out with the correct PAL timing - and mplayer using the
> > matrox video out driver - which selectively copies the correct
> > (half-frames) in the corresponding video region ....
> >
> > then you get brilliant picture, nice interlace flickering at the cost of
> > a seperate vga card ... not capable of doing any hardware accelerated
> > mpeg decoding ... :)
>
> I don't quite understand. So is with a Matrox graphics card? And can you
> not still use the CN700 for MPEG2 decoding?

yes, it's using a matrox card and doing mpeg decoding in software ...

> I also wondered about using an nVidia MX4000. Those claim RGB out.
> Another problem with that though, is I have the mobo in a really neat
> little box, which I'd like to keep, and although there's some room
> around the PCI slot, there's not enough for any graphics card I've
> ever seen.

yeah, that sounds reasonable - same here ;)

i have a nvidia (Geforce 6200) with passive cooling - i assume it could
do PAL interlaced on the RGB out ... but i havent tried it by now ...

as nvidia also has xvmc, i assume it can do hw mpeg decoding also - it
has s-video and composite out too - and is about 40 euros here in
austria ...

however power consumption - and heat dissipation - and space rises with
this ...

> > if i am wrong in some point, prove me right ;)
> >
> > any other suggestions very welcome !!!
> >
> > however, the need for image quality got lost over the years ... :(
>
> I guess I should just put up with it. As I said before, it's only
> when I swap back and forth between the new system and my old DVRs
> that I see the slight difference. The pictures still very good for
> SD.

yep, would do best ... ;)

regards,
marcus.