[Openchrome-users] via Chrome Driver compilation

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton
Fri Jan 23 14:50:02 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 4:00 AM, Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org> wrote:
> Saravanan Doss wrote:
>> thanks guys
>>
>> is there a work around so that i can still use it.
>>
>> now i am using generic vesa driver, but i am unable to startx directly
>> as it hangs and displays full blue,green,red screens
>>
>> all i have to do is press ctrl+alt+del to restart in text mode then
>> issue startx command
>> to get gui
>>
>> Right now bcoz of my application which runs only on rhel4 we r unable to
>> use rhel5
>>
>> can u suggest me some twaeks to use vesa driver
>>
>> Thanks
>> das
>>
>> --- On *Thu, 1/22/09, John Robinson /<john.robinson at anonymous.org.uk>/*
>> wrote:
>>
>>     From: John Robinson <john.robinson at anonymous.org.uk>
>>     Subject: Re: [Openchrome-users] via Chrome Driver compilation
>>     To: "Xavier Bachelot" <xavier at bachelot.org>
>>     Cc: "Saravanan Doss" <das711 at yahoo.com>, openchrome-users at openchrome.org
>>     Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 10:20 PM
>>
>>     On 22/01/2009 14:58, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>>     > Saravanan Doss wrote:
>>     >> hi all
>>     >>  I am running RHEL AS4 with update 6 on my laptop having chrome9 IGP.
>>     The kernel version is 2.6.9-67 ELSMP
>>     >>  When i try to compile the source code it reports xorg-server.pc
>>     package not found
>>     >>  where can i find the package or is there a work around
>>     >>
>>     > Imho, forget about the home made compilation. RHEL4 is still running
>>     > monolithic X (6.8.2 iirc), which means you'll have to patch X with
>>     > openchrome and rebuild everything. This is a lot of pain, I've done it
>>     > for years back in the days of unichrome, but I also stopped maintaining
>>     > it for year. And openchrome probably doesn't even compile with this
>>     > setup anymore. You can possibly take a look at the contributed binary
>>     > packages page in the wiki, John Robinson used to rebuild my Fedora
>>     > packages on RHEL4, but he probably quit doing that too.
>>
>>     Yes, 'fraid so. If my office was less of a disaster zone I'd fire up
>>     the machine I used to do the builds on and have a go doing a fresh one, but
>>     it'll be weeks before that's possible.
>>

> If any of you want to take a look, the spec file and srpm are still on
> the net :
>
> http://washington.kelkoo.net/epia/FC4/SPECS/xorg-x11.spec
> http://washington.kelkoo.net/epia/FC4/SRPMS/xorg-x11-6.9-0.FC4.ucr.14.src.rpm
>

> This is the latest I have for monolithic X. Take care this is xorg 6.9
> while you want 6.8.2, go back to FC3 for 6.8.2.

And the other problem you will have is that we have ripped all the
support out for older versions of Xorg.  I remember tagging a branch
as pre_1.3_support or something, but I think I did that before adding
any chipsets support for chrome9.

Ultimately I think it would be less work to port your application to
Centos 5, than update our driver.  You may also want to look at
running it in a VM of some sort.

Jon