[Openchrome-users] debug messages in Ubuntu

Abraham Varricatt abraham.varricatt
Mon Mar 2 19:21:27 PST 2009

Xavier Bachelot wrote:

> The driver's logs are in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
> For more verbosity, you might want to compile the driver with
> --enable-debug and --enable-xv-debug.
> If you want to understand how the driver works and are not debugging a
> specific problem, it might be easier to read the sources. if not, gdb is
> the way to go. I'm not very good at using gdb though, so I won't be able
> to help further.
>
> Regards,
> Xavier

Thanks for your reply. I've been drilling down the code with the help of
the log file. As for the compiler options, for the life of me, I can't
figure out how to use it. Still, the log provides just the info I need
anyway, so it's not an issue.

IF I get to a stage that I'm able to make some documentation on how
openchrome works, as a result of my study, to whom do I send the stuff ?
(you ARE still accepting contributions for openchrome documentation,
right? ;) ) I don't think this can be classified as 'patch' material.
It's a big IF on my end, and at the moment, I'm having a mix of rough
paper notes, some text files and pictures (jpg) I created using
mind-mapping tools.

The motivation for me is curiosity. I just want to know how a video card
works (with xserver), and I find myself with easy access to a VIA
chipset. (the VN896)

Yours,
Abru