[Openchrome-users] debug messages in Ubuntu

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Sun Mar 1 13:20:27 PST 2009

Abraham Varricatt wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> How do I see the debug messages printed out by openchrome?
>
> I have a netbook with a VN896 chipset. It's taken me about a month, but
> I finally got Ubuntu to run on it with the correct screen resolution.
> Now I want to study how openchrome works.
>
> Currently my procedure goes like this,
>
> 1. Start Ubuntu on netbook in text mode.
> 2. ssh into netbook with another Ubuntu box. (a desktop system)
> 3. run "sudo startx" on the prompt that comes up.(on netbook)
> 4. from the ssh prompt, run " gdb /usr/bin/Xorg <pid of X>"
> 5. Inside the gdb prompt type "bt f"
>
> To what I understand, that should give me the entire back-trace of
> xserver. But all I get is till #4. In short this is what I'm getting,
>
> #0 0xb80e...   in  __kernel_vsyscall  ()
> #1 0xb7dac...   in  select ()  from  /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> #2 0x808c...   in WaitForSomething
> #3 0x0807...    in Dispatch () at
> #4 0x08.......   in main ()
>
> I think you can see my issue.
>
> For compiling I followed the "openchrome 2D driver compilation" steps
> found here,
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome
>
> And for debugging I followed the steps here,
> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ServerDebugging
>
> Well, not all the debugging steps, I installed only, "apt-get install
> xserver-xorg-core-dbg" . Since I was compiling openchrome, it seemed
> silly to download the openchrome debug package from canonical.
>
> The really annoying thing for me is that in the ssh terminal where I ran
> "startx" I can see some error prints come. They go like "(EE) CHROME (0)
> ..." So, I can see that openchrome is printing it out. But HOW can I see
> this stuff with the debugging window?
>
> Or do you guys have some other debugger I can use?
>
> Yours,
> Abru

The driver's logs are in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
For more verbosity, you might want to compile the driver with
--enable-debug and --enable-xv-debug.
If you want to understand how the driver works and are not debugging a
specific problem, it might be easier to read the sources. if not, gdb is
the way to go. I'm not very good at using gdb though, so I won't be able
to help further.