[Openchrome-users] Using TV resolutions without TV encoder

Paul Gardiner lists
Wed Mar 4 05:24:00 PST 2009

Ian Blackwood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a EPIA EN15000G board which is a CN700 / VT1625.
>
> Previously this was outputting to a PAL TV on the SVideo and the
> hardware acceleration was working. The only drawback was an amount of
> overscan.
>
> I now have a TV with VGA input so I am trying to get higher quality
> using that connection.

I bet you'll get better quality from S-Video because that way you use
the TV's deinterlacer. If your experiences with S-Video were less than
perfect then make sure that you are using 720x576 (for PAL) 720x480
(for NTSC), that you have no scaling (do not scale to undo the overscan
- except for menus; I'm assuming you're using MythTv). Turn off
TVDeflicker in your xorg.conf. Don't use a deinterlacer.

Cheers,
	Paul.