[Openchrome-users] opencrome in Debian 5 on Epia M.

Francesco Bochicchio bieffe62
Sat Mar 21 06:00:22 PDT 2009

Hi all,
I have a box with an EPIA M board (Nehemiah 1GHz) which includes  a CLE266
card.
Previously I installed on it Ubuntu 7.10, which worked ok. I used the 'via'
 xorg driver which came with the distro (I think it was not using
acceleration) and could watch DiVX and even DVD (sometime a little slow)
with mplayer.

Now I have 'upgraded' the box to Debian stable (5.0). This distro comes with
two drivers which work with my hardware, xerver-xorg-video-via and
xerver-xorg-video-openchrome. Unfortunately, with both drivers, mplayer (and
also vlc) causes random freezes of the box. By random I mean that it plays
for a while, but usually the freeze occurs in the first half-hour. I think
it crashes the kernel, not just freezes X, because after that I cannot reach
the box by network.

If I use the x11 driver with mplayer (no hw accell) it works, but the image
is much smaller than the whole screen (32" LCD TV with PC video in). And if
I use the software zoom, it becomes too slow.

I also tried with players of the -xine variety, but they are too slow for
the box.

Anybody knows how to fix this, without having to reinstall the old distro?

Ciao
--------
FB