[Openchrome-users] [openChrome] #366: Split screen on Avaratec 3280 with VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800/K8N800/K8N800A [S3 UniChrome Pro]

OpenChrome Trac trac
Thu Apr 1 12:56:08 PDT 2010

#366: Split screen on Avaratec 3280 with VIA Technologies, Inc.
K8M800/K8N800/K8N800A [S3 UniChrome Pro]
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
Reporter:  peterbe  |       Owner:  somebody
    Type:  defect   |      Status:  new
 Version:           |    Keywords:
Blocking:           |   Blockedby:
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
 The Averatech 3280 laptop has Ubuntu Lucid beta-1 installed, with updates
 to today (1 Apr 2010). The display controller is a VIA Technologies, Inc.
 K8M800/K8N800/K8N800A [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01). The laptop has an
 1024x768 XGA LCD display.

 On first running a live CD on the system, the proper display resolution is
 not detected, and the controller is set to a higher resolution, something
 like 1600x1200, and the display is cropped to the upper-left 1024x768
 corner of that. I then set the proper resolution with the
 System>Preferences>Monitors menu. Subsequently I installed an xorg.conf
 file, for various reasons described below.

 In addition, at 1024x768 the screen is offset by an apparent 512 pixels to
 the right, with the screen wrapped around. At 800x600 resolution, the
 screen is offset about 80-90% to the right.

 With no xorg.conf file in place, the hardware cursor is used, and that
 appears in the proper position, so it is not useful; for that reason, I
 disable the hardware cursor in xorg.conf. I have tried various other
 document openchrome settings in xorg.conf, which have not helped.

 Ubuntu version and kernel version
 DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
 DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
 DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
 DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu lucid (development branch)"
 Linux eros 2.6.32-18-generic #27-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 26 19:51:10 UTC 2010
 i686 GNU/Linux
 model name      : Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+

 This has been reported on Ubuntu Launchpad as Bug #495553

--
Ticket URL: <http://www.openchrome.org/trac/ticket/366>
openChrome <http://www.openchrome.org/>