[Openchrome-users] Problem getting Xorg to run on Fedora Core 12

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Sat Mar 13 04:36:23 PST 2010

On 03/13/2010 01:16 AM, George R. Kasica wrote:
> OK, first off this was working on FC10 and no hardware has changed
> here, only the FC10 to 12 upgrade...I've got the latest updates and
> fixes as of today 3/12 via a nightly yum run, but this has been broken
> since upgrade about a few days after release. I can run the server
> without X in init level 3 but it would be really nice it have my X
> sessions back....what am I doing wrong here, I'm totally stumped....
>
> Hardware is as follows:
>
> 2 CPU's Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz stepping 09
> 4GB RAM
> Linux agpgart interface v0.103
> agpgart: Detected VIA P4M800 chipset
>
> Display is a Dell ST2310 which windows-7 or 2003 runs well at
> 1600x1200 @ 60Hx and has a max resolution of 1920x1080 @ 60Hz per the
> menu on the screen...docs don't list any more info.
>
> here is the log of the setup and attempt to configure and run X from a
> root command prompt with
>
> and the config below it.
>
> Xorg -configure
>
> then
>
> X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
>

> # more /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> ===========================

...snip...
> (--) CHROME(0): Probed amount of VideoRAM = 1024 kB

This looks wrong and very likely the root cause of your issue. Try to
force it to the proper value set in the bios. the unit is kB.
Option "VideoRAM" "65536"

There is a bug already filled for this :
http://www.openchrome.org/trac/ticket/177

> (II) CHROME(0): Monitor0: Using default hsync range of 31.50-37.90 kHz
> (II) CHROME(0): Monitor0: Using default vrefresh range of 50.00-70.00
> Hz

Also, either the monitor doesn't send an EDID or it's not read properly.
You might need to force HorizSync and VertRefresh to some sane values
(check your monitor manual).

It would be interesting to compare the F12 Xorg log with the F10 xorg
log. I'm wondering if this is a regression.