[Openchrome-users] Request to mailing list openchrome-users rejected

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Tue Jul 24 14:22:17 PDT 2012

Hi Sagar,

On 07/24/2012 07:07 AM, Sagar Sawant wrote:
> Hello Xavier
>
> VIA has just released a beta driver for newer kernels and VX900 ...
> along with the source it seems ...
>
> http://linux.via.com.tw/support/downloadFiles.action
>
> I am using 12.04 ubuntu ...
>
> I think you should have a look at it ...should help in your development ...

Yes, we know this has been released very recently, although the
corresponding binary driver has been there for months, as well as
several other releases w/o corresponding source code. I've regularly
poked at the VIA people to get the source, and they have kept promising
to release it "soon". Glad they finally did, and be assured we'll make
good use of the information that can be gathered from their source. This
will be especially useful for the next round of development which should
be devoted toward making the DRM driver better and eventually have it
incorporated in upstream kernel.
As a side note, I don't count 2.6.38 as new, this is rather old ;-)

> Will be trying the driver in a couple of days time and will let you
> know the results ...

Testing results from VIA's code is not of much interest for the
openchrome project. I'd rather have testing results from the latest
openchrome release.

> Need to figure out if my current openchrome driver is a module or
> statically inside the kernel ... only then can I try and compile it
> and use it ...

You're mixing things here. The openchrome driver has nothing to do with
the kernel, this is an X driver.
There are some instruction in the wiki explaining how to build it :
http://www.openchrome.org/trac/wiki/Installation#Installfromareleasetarball

> When will the VX900 driver have MP4 and MPEG acceleration support? Its
> a must at least if not 3D ...

The work to support the mpeg engine as found on CX700 and later chips
has been started long ago, and I have had it running on a VX800 at some
point. Unfortunately, this still needs to be cleaned up and merged to
master. That will happen eventually, but this is not on the top of the
todo list. Also, this will only bring MPEG2 acceleration, MPEG4 is a
whole different story, and needs lots more work. Also, XvMC is probably
not very useful these days, libva or vdpau would be more future-proof.

3D is also on the todo list, but again, not at the top.

So much to do, and so little people with not enough time on their hand
to do it...

PS: I guess you're new to mailing lists, and I'd like to remember some
rules : no top posting, no html mail, trim quotes and keep the mailing
list CC'ed. This comment is not meant to be rude or anything, this is
just informative, and it might be useful to others to be remembered the
rules as well. Thanks in advance:-)