[Openchrome-users] Fwd: Ubuntu 12.04 and CN896 chipset only in 1024x768

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu Nov 22 03:02:34 PST 2012

On 11/22/2012 12:56 AM, xxlray at web.de wrote:
> Unfortunately there was an error when I tried to apply the new patch to
> the code that was already patched with the old patch:
>
> patching file src/via_xv.c
> Hunk #4 FAILED at 359.
> Hunk #5 FAILED at 376.
> Hunk #6 FAILED at 1275.
> 3 out of 6 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/via_xv.c.rej
>
> That is why I deleted the old code, cloned the git repository again and
> applied only the new patch. I hope this was correct. At least videos are
> now displayed fine. The latest log is attached.

I haven't seen the patch as you discussed off the mailing list, but my
guess is this was not an incremental patch but rather a new version of
the patch. What you did is fine, but it would have been faster to revert
the old patch before applying the new one :
cd xf86-video-openchrome
patch -p1 -R < path/to/old_patch
patch -p1 < path/to/new_patch

Or alternatively, revert to plain git master in order to drop the
changes from the patch :
git reset --hard origin/master

Bartosz, can you share the patch please (possibly on -devel) ?

> I am already happy but to make it perfect I would like to have a
> different resolution (1280x720) than 1024x768.
> I need to got to sleep now as I have to tomo... arg today. But if you
> send me a new patch I will test it right in the morning.

This is not a bug. The first (preferred) resolution announced by the
monitor is 1024x768, hence that is what is choosen by the driver. You
should be able to change the resolution with xrandr tho :

xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x720