[Openchrome-users] Non PAE system

Matthieu Herrb matthieu at herrb.eu
Sun Apr 3 09:37:00 UTC 2016

On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 11:21:01AM +0200, hzh wrote:
> I don't know about other distributions and how far they still support older
> HW cause I lack the time to try them. A second alternative might be some BSD
> system, they usually also support older HW well. I just saw NetBSD running
> on some ancient and somewhat exotic  machine a few weeks ago on a public
> Linux conference. I guess openchrome might also compile and work on BSD? I
> mean, the whole userland X system is ported, right?

Yes, X runs on the BSD. But only older versions of the
xf86-video-openchrome driver work AFAICT, because the drm and kms
drivers have not been ported to the BSD kernels and OpenChrome stopped
working as a pure user mode driver.

OpenBSD is shipping with a version derived from 0.2.906 that used to
work last time I checked.

But I don't have access anymore to hardware suppored by the openchrone
driver to check the current driver or try porting a more recent version.
--
Matthieu Herrb