[Openchrome-users] Non PAE system

hzh hzh at chemie.uni-leipzig.de
Sun Apr 3 09:21:01 UTC 2016

Hello Francois,

yes, a lot of distributions start to cancel 32bit support or require
HW PAE. Gentoo does not. Gentoo still runs on i486 computers if you
need.
It requires some initial work to get it to know, though.

The results is: You'll learn lots how a system works and is built :) ,
absolutely individual system, performant system (lightweight to your
needs, compiled for your specific CPU if you want), furthermore the
freedom of choice - e.g. to run things without SystemD ;) - and a
rolling release system.
The downside is: Requires time to get into it and later some time for
compiling; though you can also cross-compile or in case of x86
chroot-pseudo-cross-compile.

I don't know about other distributions and how far they still support
older HW cause I lack the time to try them. A second alternative might
be some BSD system, they usually also support older HW well. I just
saw NetBSD running on some ancient and somewhat exotic  machine a few
weeks ago on a public Linux conference. I guess openchrome might also
compile and work on BSD? I mean, the whole userland X system is
ported, right?

Greetings
Haldor