[Openchrome-users] help getting hardware accelleration going on vx900

kevinbanjo kevinbanjo at gmail.com
Tue May 17 03:11:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 5:55 AM, hzh <hzh at chemie.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Not much time but having a short glance at your info gave me an idea
>
> 1. Are you sure via.modeset=1 is valid? I mean, I haven't seen a normal
> (upstream) kernel in the wild that had KMS for VIA.
> Blacklisting the viafb should be okay, though

Is there any advantage to using the viafb?

I need to milk as much performance out of this as I can and it seems that
some forum posts say that it should be blacklisted.

It's kind of hard to tell what is the accurate, current information for the
openchrome 0.4.0.

> 2.
> Looked at your Xorg.0.log
>
> [    33.639] (II) LoadModule: "openchrome"
> [    33.640] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/openchrome_drv.so
> [    33.652] (EE) Failed to load
> /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/openchrome_drv.so:
> /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/openchrome_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> vgaHWFreeHWRec
> [    33.652] (II) UnloadModule: "openchrome"
> [    33.652] (II) Unloading openchrome
> [    33.652] (EE) Failed to load module "openchrome" (loader failed, 7)
> [    33.652] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"

Does anyone have a clue where that symbol is defined?

I've done

scanelf -r -s vgaHWFreeHWRec /lib/* /usr/* /opt/*|grep vgaHWFreeHWRec

and found nothing, but I found this:

scanelf -l -s vgaHWFreeHWRec | grep vgaHWFreeHWRec
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/cirrus_alpine.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/apm_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ast_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/cirrus_laguna.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i128_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i740_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/openchrome_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/r128_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/tdfx_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/trident_drv.so
ET_DYN vgaHWFreeHWRec /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so
kris-pc default # nm
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/cirrus_alpine.so|grep vgaHWFreeHWRec
nm: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/cirrus_alpine.so: no symbols
kris-pc default # nm /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/apm_drv.so |grep
vgaHWFreeHWRec
nm: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/apm_drv.so: no symbols
kris-pc default # nm /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so |grep
vgaHWFreeHWRec
nm: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so: no symbols
kris-pc default # nm /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/openchrome_drv.so
|grep vgaHWFreeHWRec
                 U vgaHWFreeHWRec

Am I not loading a module that needs loaded?

Is that an X module or a kernel module?

I'm literally not getting anything from google except this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virtualbox/+bug/1280292

There apparently is virtualbox on this machine and it says it has an error
starting it.   I don't need nor want it right now.

> It's always a good idea to do a
> # cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep EE
> (remember capitalization matters) and maybe a
> # cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep WW
>
> or a dmesg or /var/log/messages (needs root rights, at least in Gentoo)
> and look there for errors.
>
> Your openchrome build has a problem and did not load, X fell back to
> modesetting driver.
>
> You might check with the stock openchrome that came with Sabayon if that
> works better.

No, that was worse.   I spent a lot of time fighting it.   The strategy I
ultimately came down to was that I needed to upgrade to 0.4.0.

When I run glxgears the fps went up from 20 to 60 after the upgrade.   I'm
really tired at shooting in the dark with this thing.   Do I need to load
the vgahw module in the X config?   The dri or dri2?

Anyone have a working X config file with this chip set?

TIA,

-Kevin