[Openchrome-users] A little thanks inbetween for your work

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Sun Aug 20 01:14:53 UTC 2017

Hi Haldor,

Thank you for the words of encouragement.
I have seen here and here comments like, "Why do you work on such old hardware?"
I think one of the reason for this is FOSS (i.e., Linux and BSD) graphics stack development has been moved from "community" based development (volunteer, non-profits like university based) in the 1990s to a more "corporatized" development model starting around mid-2000 and beyond.
Just for the record, I am not against this personally, but I think there were substantial number of "hobby" developers who dropped out of FOSS development as a result.
While it is not meant to be a criticism of any particular group, corporatized development model tends to essentially limit most FOSS graphics stack code development to the employees of the firm that develop particular hardware or silicon device, hence, as someone who does not work for AMD or Intel, working on AMD or Intel graphics stack is not really an option.
While I do not really do much "shameless self promotion," I will be presenting during XDC (X Developer Conference) 2017 that will be held at Google HQ (Mountain View, California, United States of America) between September 20th to 22nd, 2017.
The presentation is titled rather appropriately, "Reviving the Development of OpenChrome."

https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2017/Program/

I do not want to take away from my presentation, so I will further answer the "Why do you work on such old hardware?" during the presentation.
    In terms of development priorities, at this moment, I am giving OpenChrome DRM (drm-openchrome) development far more time than the existing OpenChrome DDX development.

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/drm-openchrome/?h=drm-next-4.13

In terms of attention (time) ratio, it is like 95% (OpenChrome DRM) : 5% (OpenChrome DDX).
I recently figured out how to merge drm-next (at the time based on Linux 4.13 rc2) with drm-openchrome.
I further updated the kernel to rc5 (Linux 4.13 rc5), and while writing this reply, I was compiling the Linux kernel on the background.

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/drm-openchrome/commit/?h=drm-next-4.13&id=e7ca2d10cefd41d01ffa5ab6cc97d03bb21d2615

The compilation is now done, and I will be installing the new Linux kernel shortly.
I will send out a blurb about the status of drm-openchrome soon, but I am mostly done porting the code to Linux 4.13, but X Server is not working at this time.

Kevin Brace
OpenChrome Project maintainer / developer