[Openfontlibrary] FOSS and the Commercial Print World

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Feb 2 17:09:04 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 15:05 -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
>     We should include these on the site,
>
> I added some of these links to the wiki (a while back).
>
>     possibly the wiki for the time being...however, it would be great to
>     collect content to put on our site when it has been ok'd by the
>     original author and/or legally is permissive.
>
> As I mentioned before, virtually all of the fonts referred to on those
> pages are libre or almost-libre, so legally there's no problem.
>
> Whether it makes sense to try to maintain a separate copy on olib (many
> are still actively maintained) is another question.  www.ctan.org holds
> (usually) the canonical sources.
>
> Best,
> karl

I would recommend if this interests anyone, that we should try to
consolidate resources with other projects. Ideally though we need to get
thumbnailing code to work and have more services sorted so that we could
absorb pre-existing projects :)

Oh, one thought we could do is allow for people to create their own font
thumbnails when they submit their font. ccHost allows this at present.
Obviously this is not ideal, but is doable right now.

Would anyone like to help wit this immediate step? I think 128 px x 128
px would be ideal for a quick thumbnail. Then, you can upload to your
previous uploads and any bitmap will show up as a thumbnail...cool?

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org