[Openfontlibrary] Open Source Publishing: Appropriation and Type - before and today

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Feb 23 15:39:51 PST 2007

On 22/02/07, Gustavo Ferreira <grilo at centroin.com.br> wrote:
> http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/?p=183

Good find, Gustavo!

The free font movement (at least in my mind) has little to do with
this, however.

I want to see knowledge systems/resources/sites like typosium.org and
scriptsource.org and typestudent.org, with the less speciality emerging
type encyclopedia within the wikipedia and the design manuals on
wikibooks.org. That free culture knowledge dovetails with top tier
typeface design tools that are free software.

The existence of these two things will change the way all type is
made. With these in place, making as much original type as we want
will be easy.

People who want free-as-in-beer fonts can and do just hit up
http://www.google.com/search?q=font+torrent whenever they want.
Generally, type designers I meet do that for music, but thats okay
because they're not musicians and they spent a lot of music on
cassettes and don't want to pay The Man twice, or whatever
excuse it is today. The ethics of this are murky but intuitively,
people make the decision to share instead of sticking to
agreements not to. But its kind of dull, though. Free-as-in-
freedom is much more exciting.