[Openfontlibrary] Fwd: [ATypI] First US design patent

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jun 28 04:00:09 PDT 2007

Cool trivia :-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Hudson <john at tiro.ca>
Date: 28-Jun-2007 04:34
Subject: [ATypI] First US design patent
To: ATypI member discussion list <members at atypi.org>

This week I chanced to obtain a copy of the first US design patent
application, filed by
one George Bruce in 1842, for 'new and improved Printing Types'. As
others who have looked
into this patent, e.g. Frank Martinez, have noted, a sample of the
type(s) in question is
not included with the application, and, to my knowledge, no one has
identified the design.
But the document is quite fascinating, not least for the
justifications offered in support
of the application. With the permission of the person who provided it
to me, I have posted
the document on Typophile:

        http://typophile.com/node/34804

John Hudson

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

We say our understanding measures how things are,
and likewise our perception, since that is how we
find our way around, but in fact these do not measure.
They are measured.   -- Aristotle, Metaphysics