[Openfontlibrary] david berlow on screen type

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed Mar 7 16:16:03 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-03 at 15:02 -0800, Raph Levien wrote:
[...]
> That said, there is a case to be made for optimizing display quality
> today. The richest unexplored avenue, I think, is grayscale bitmaps.

Possibly, but people still want to print stuff :-)

[...]

> I sense one opportunity for which grayscale bitmap fonts may be
> viable: to display text within the WHATWG canvas.

I'd rather see work done with SVG -- at least the SVG Working Group
had accessibility as a requirement.

[...]

> In sum, I'm not sure what to recommend. If the free software community
> follows its traditional patterns, it will never quite get its butt in
> gear.

True!

>  But that's not necessarily a serious problem, because high-res
> displays will come along and make the point moot.

Given a choice right now I'd rather see some focus on opentype feature
support and basic stuff like getting line spacing into all the font
selection/formatting dialogues (you still can't add line spacing in
gedit for example), i.e. let's move into the 1970s with text
handling :-)

With the numbers of people involved, unfortunately, I think it's
really a case of that sort of choice.

But support for colour and greyscale fonts doesn't sound like a
bad idea to me either.

Liam