[Openfontlibrary] david berlow on screen type

Stephen Hartke hartke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 18:38:34 PST 2007

On 3/7/07, Raph Levien <raph.levien at gmail.com> wrote:

> That said, there is a case to be made for optimizing display quality
> today. The richest unexplored avenue, I think, is grayscale bitmaps.
>
> We have something of a Catch-22. Support for grayscale bitmaps is
> poor, and there are no free fonts available. People don't want to
> develop fonts unless they know applications can use them, and people
> don't want to build the infrastructure unless they know there will be
> fonts.

I've got to agree with the lack of infrastructure.  I've been working on a
grayscale version of the classic X 10x20 bitmap font.  This is great font
for use in terminals. The grayscale version (at least the completed part)
looks great, and renders fine by FreeType in ftview, but I can't figure out
how to make it usable for any other application.  I've tried grayscale BDF,
OTB, and embedded bitmaps in TTF or OTF, but none have worked.  I'd welcome
any suggestions that anyone might have on how to make it usable.

Best wishes,
Stephen