[Openfontlibrary] StixFonts license update

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Oct 8 14:13:50 PDT 2007

    What are your thoughts on this? Are you hopeful to interface these with
    OFLB, or you have other thoughts? I'm not sure on relicensing these
    fonts under OFL license...I don't see a clause on this in the
    contract...

The fonts certainly cannot be relicensed.  However, in my view the new
version is a free license (though not compatible with anything else).

STIX made this change after some communication with me, because the
previous version was clearly nonfree and Barbara Beeton(*) persevered in
getting them to review it.

We urged them to use the OFL (or any existing free license, for that
matter), but they chose not to.  I don't know why not.

Best,
Karl

(*) For those who don't know her: Barbara is a very long-time member of
the TeX and typographic communities, and one of the hardest workers on
the STIX project.