[Openfontlibrary] StixFonts license update

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Oct 9 18:02:19 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 16:13 -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
> What are your thoughts on this? Are you hopeful to interface these with
>     OFLB, or you have other thoughts? I'm not sure on relicensing these
>     fonts under OFL license...I don't see a clause on this in the
>     contract...
>
> The fonts certainly cannot be relicensed.  However, in my view the new
> version is a free license (though not compatible with anything else).
>
> STIX made this change after some communication with me, because the
> previous version was clearly nonfree and Barbara Beeton(*) persevered in
> getting them to review it.
>
> We urged them to use the OFL (or any existing free license, for that
> matter), but they chose not to.  I don't know why not.
>
> Best,
> Karl
>
> (*) For those who don't know her: Barbara is a very long-time member of
> the TeX and typographic communities, and one of the hardest workers on
> the STIX project.

That's what I thought...total bummer on them not using OFL license...can
you ask Barbara, why not?

License proliferation is hell.

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Jon Phillips does not represent any organization through
this email address.