[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Jan 2 07:53:28 PST 2008

Jon Phillips wrote:
> Cool...can you bring them into the fold and/or work with them to release
> this all into the public domain or under OFL?
>
> Cool! I think it would be great to get more of these fonts added to our
> site as well, and we can help to promote them!
>
> Jon

Yep, impressive work on the new release.
And notice how font sources (FontLab) and the build script are also
released. A very good sign :)

I'm re-contacting upstream - The Ubuntu/Canonical folks - to advocate
officially hosting the "trunk" and the related project information
somewhere (OFLB?) and allowing for the various interesting branches out
there to be known and possibly merged back. A source repository and a
FONTLOG are really needed IMHO. Of course I'll promote collaborative
design through the OFL instead of the LGPL which is much more adapted to
fonts not to mention readability.

Andy Fitzsimon as the original designer was willing to relicense so that
his project can be community-maintained (AFAICT he is not maintaining it
anymore). IIRC Dennis Jacquerye was working on improving it at some
point as well.

This font is also linked to the visual identity of various products and
also Ubuntu's trademark so it needs discussion by the copyright holder.

I'll let you know what is being decided.

Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org
http://pkg-fonts.alioth.debian.org/
https://launchpad.net/people/fonts