[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Jan 2 08:17:24 PST 2008

This all sounds good...yes, we should position OFLB where possible to be
a third-party hosting space :)

Jon

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 16:53 +0100, Nicolas Spalinger wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> > Cool...can you bring them into the fold and/or work with them to release
> > this all into the public domain or under OFL?
> >
> > Cool! I think it would be great to get more of these fonts added to our
> > site as well, and we can help to promote them!
> >
> > Jon
>
> Yep, impressive work on the new release.
> And notice how font sources (FontLab) and the build script are also
> released. A very good sign :)
>
> I'm re-contacting upstream - The Ubuntu/Canonical folks - to advocate
> officially hosting the "trunk" and the related project information
> somewhere (OFLB?) and allowing for the various interesting branches out
> there to be known and possibly merged back. A source repository and a
> FONTLOG are really needed IMHO. Of course I'll promote collaborative
> design through the OFL instead of the LGPL which is much more adapted to
> fonts not to mention readability.
>
> Andy Fitzsimon as the original designer was willing to relicense so that
> his project can be community-maintained (AFAICT he is not maintaining it
> anymore). IIRC Dennis Jacquerye was working on improving it at some
> point as well.
>
> This font is also linked to the visual identity of various products and
> also Ubuntu's trademark so it needs discussion by the copyright holder.
>
> I'll let you know what is being decided.
>
> Cheers,

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Jon Phillips does not represent any organization through
this email address.