[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

George Williams gww at silcom.com
Sat Jan 5 08:33:32 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 04:48, Victor Gaultney wrote:
> Fonts, themselves, are also often the best 'source' for a font,
> and can be more useful to developers in free environments than the
> proprietary sources used to develop the font in the first place.
I tend to think that way too.

However people have pointed out that not all data are stored in the
tradition font.
  We could add them.

FontForge can create a separate table in which it throws some metadata
that might be relevant for future editing of the font. It current
includes things like comments and colors. Dave indicated that guidelines
would be a good thing to include as well.
   Anything else that should go there?

It is possible to build a font containing both loca/glyf and CFF tables
(so the editable cubic shapes would still be present). I don't know what
a rasterizer would do when confronted by such a beast -- it might be
better to rename the CFF table so it doesn't get used inadvertently _CFF
perhaps.
   Is it worth having a mode like that? It would make fonts twice as
big, of course.

> OpenType/Graphite: We would recommend (and we are going to be doing this
> ourselves) that people release at least the logic/algorithms in some useful
> form.
Are you talking Adobe Feature files here, or some other format? If
something else, could you give me a spec (assuming it is not
proprietary?)