[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sat Jan 5 10:00:21 PST 2008

On 05 Jan 2008 08:33:32 -0800, George Williams <gww at silcom.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 04:48, Victor Gaultney wrote:
> > Fonts, themselves, are also often the best 'source' for a font,
> > and can be more useful to developers in free environments than the
> > proprietary sources used to develop the font in the first place.
>
> I tend to think that way too.
>
> However people have pointed out that not all data are stored in the
> tradition font. We could add them.

This is genius :-)

> FontForge can create a separate table in which it throws some metadata
> that might be relevant for future editing of the font. It current
> includes things like comments and colors. Dave indicated that guidelines
> would be a good thing to include as well.
> Anything else that should go there?

Um, everything :-) A few things off the top of my head:

* Multiple background layers spring immediately to mind. (though FF
doesn't support them, I hope it might one day, and FontLab has them,
so they might be in a UFO (Erik? :-))

* The "FONTLOG" of OFL fonts.

* The "stroke source" if the font is stroke based, made with metafont
or kalliculator for example

> It is possible to build a font containing both loca/glyf and CFF tables
> (so the editable cubic shapes would still be present). I don't know what
> a rasterizer would do when confronted by such a beast -- it might be
> better to rename the CFF table so it doesn't get used inadvertently _CFF
> perhaps. Is it worth having a mode like that? It would make fonts twice as
> big, of course.

I think such a mode would be worthwhile.

Large font filesizes are no problem when the fonts are free, because
leaner versions are easy to generate for production use.