[Openfontlibrary] Hi from argentina

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Jan 20 05:34:48 PST 2008

On 20/01/2008, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> My personal part of the consensus is that a standard well-researched
> license like the OFL is better than the current alternatives.

I agree, but I'm hoping to work this year to untangle the GPL mess,
because I feel a strong copyleft license for fonts is greatly needed
for myself personally and for the wider community.

I'm hoping Canonical might do some of the work with their LGPL Ubuntu
Titling font; we'll have to wait and see about that :-)

> If there
> was a GPL-ish font license I'd push for it instead but the FSF didn't
> really bother with it so far and Red Hat Liberation licensing shows what
> a mess it can all become when projects try to adapt the GPL to a context
> it was not designed for (and RH is supposed to understand the GPL).

Yes, and given that they paid a lot for the development of the font,
you'd think they would spend a little time/money sorting out the
licensing...