[Openfontlibrary] Licensing options

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Jul 2 08:06:57 PDT 2008

Femke Snelting wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last Friday we uploaded NotCourier-sans to the Open Font Library but
> because of it's licensing history the font is not released under the
> OFL; it is GPLv2 with embedding exception. The upload form does not give
> us any other options than OFL or Public Domain... but GPL means the font
> is free? http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Free_Font
>
> So... what do we do next?
>
> Femke
>
> -------
>
> NotCourier-sans license:
> http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/?p=471
>
> Pictures of the Print Party celebrating the release:
> http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/image/?level=album&id=22

Hi Femke,

Congratulations for the design work and the release :-)
Looks like you had a lot of fun during this print party again!
(Looking forward to the full package...)

Which reminds I still gotta send you my notes and feedback from the LGM
print party...

We have plans to update the CC-host engine and include support for GPL +
exception fonts. But realistically the font exception really needs some
work...  There are also quite a few uploaded fonts which need a license
audit too.

Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org
http://pkg-fonts.alioth.debian.org/