[Openfontlibrary] Edrip font

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Mar 14 08:31:53 PDT 2008

Le Ven 14 mars 2008 03:33, Andrey V. Panov a écrit :
> On 13 марта 2008, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> Le mardi 11 mars 2008 à 14:38 +1000, Andrey V. Panov a écrit :
>> > License of the font has been changed to OFL 1.1. The whole font
>> excepting
>> > two alternative forms is instructed now. It is available at
>> > ftp://ftp.dvo.ru/pub/Font/edrip/ .
>>
>> While the relicencing seems compatible with the original Teams
>> license,
>> shouldn't
>>
>> Copyright (c) 1994-2000 The TopTeam Co,
>> (http://linux.web.bg/fonts.html|
>> Alexander Shopov <al_shopov at web.bg>) with Reserved Font Name Teams
>>
>> be added to the top of of the OFL.txt file bundled with the release?
>
> As far as I can understand Alexander Shopov was redistributor of Teams
> font, he was not the designer.

The OFL FAQ lists this part as copyright holder contact, and Alexander
Shopov was designed as contact at the time of the release.

> TopTeam Co did not release the font under OFL, I cannot change the
> license for them.

Sure.
But more importantly you can only release a derivative of their font
under a more restrictive license (you can not lift a restriction
TopTeam put on the fonts, but unlike the GPL the TopTeam License
allows adding restrictions).

The original X11-like license includes:

1. a statement of rights -> the OFL is a clean subset, OK
2. a disclaimer -> the OFL disclaimer is even more broad, OK (but see
later)
3. a no advertising close -> OFL clause 4. is even more strict, OK
4. the requirement to reproduce the license

However:

1. the disclaimer and OFL clause 4. refer to "the Authors". So unless
you list TopTeam in the license header as Author with you the
no-advert and disclaimer do not apply to TopTeam, and you're not
carrying on the restrictions TopTeam put in the fonts. For the TopTeam
license to be a nice OFL subset, as I understand both licenses, you
need to add the TopTeam Copyright statement before yours.

2. Even if the OFL effectively carries on the original licensing
restrictions, it's not strictly speaking the original license text. I
don't believe anyone but a Bulgarian hidden twin of Theo de Raadt
would sue you for this, but just to be sure I'd strongly advise
quoting the original license like advised by the SFLC in § 2.2 of
http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html

Anyway I must say it's a pleasure to work on a font with a sane
release policy for a while (clear makefile, license statements,
versionned source archives) so I hope to push Edrip to Fedora soonish
(a make ttf target would be appreciated BTW)

Nicolas Mailhot